Wednesday 27 May 2009

Day two in hospital

I set off for the hospital at 6am and went to see the twins first. They were, of course, utterly unconcerned at their plight and Matthew greeted me by projectile vomiting on my shirt. I love my son! Chris had a reasonable night, being woken hourly for observations, but was obviously far from happy to be away from the babies. Again, I began flitting between intensive care and SCBU until noon, when Chris was given a green light to go to the labour ward (rather than the postnatal ward). This was simply because it was easier to maintain a close eye on her there and also allow the twins to join her. Her bed was wheeled round and, for some reason, I had not expected the twins to be there, or there to be music playing, when we arrived. The sight of the twins below collapsed me and the tears flowed. Too beautiful.
Chris had expressed some colustrum earlier, which I'd taken round to SCBU for the twins, but now she was in a position to try her first breast feed and, of course, for me to do my first nappy change. Joy! Chris was in a lot of pain, of course, and still had some tubing attached to her, so was not able to do much, but at least we were all together in the same room, able to start playing happy families.


SCBU had laid a 4 hour feeding schedule for each twin, staggered by 2 hours, so there wasn't a whole lot of sleep to be had that night. I stayed with Chris, kipping on a camp bed in her room, to help with the twin's demands, which came thick and fast. Matthew achieved his first breastfeed - Sophie's mouth is a little small and her latching reflex not well developed, so we were feeding both of them by cups, as were the midwives.


Chris spent much of the day trying to persuade the docs that her morphine pump wasn't working properly, but nobody really believed her and it wasn't fixed.
The characters of our bonnie babes began to emerge. Matthew made a constant, background, low-level grizzling noise most of the time and had continued his fondness for vomiting. A paediatrician gave him the once over just in case and pronounced him fit. Sophie, being much smaller, is a much more modest eater, more relaxed and observant. Though both of them struggle to open her eyes, she spends a lot of time looking out at the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment